Re: A couple of questions about Edition Engraver

From: lists
Subject: Re: A couple of questions about Edition Engraver
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 12:32:49 +0000

Hi David,

19. Februar 2018 12:00, "David Sumbler" <address@hidden> schrieb:

> As a newcomer to using Edition Engraver, and looking at the example
> files etc., I wondered why they were written with so much repetition.
> "Perhaps it is just to keep things easy for newcomers like me to
> understand," I thought.
>
> So I experimented with reformatting using braces as Lilypond does,
> which seemed the method most likely method.  For instance,
>
> \editionMod test 1 0/4 Voice \(
> \editionMod test 1 1/4 Lyrics #(make-music 'ExtenderEvent)
> \editionMod test 1 2/8 Voice [
> \editionMod test 2 0/4 Score \time 3/4
> \editionMod test 2 0/4 Score \tempo "Allegro" 4=135
> \editionMod test 2 0/4 Voice \p
> \editionMod test 2 0/4 Voice \<
> \editionMod test 2 1/4 Lyrics #(make-music 'HyphenEvent)
>
> might become
>
> \editionMod test {
> 1 {
> 0/4 Voice \(
> 1/4 Lyrics #(make-music 'ExtenderEvent)
> 2/8 Voice [
> }
> 2 {
> 0/4 {
> Score {
> \time 3/4
> \tempo "Allegro" 4=135
> }
> Voice {
> \p
> \<
> }
> }
> 1/4 Lyrics #(make-music 'HyphenEvent)
> }
> }
>
> This is much clearer to me, and it would potentially be much easier to
> find one's way around the file for maintenance and the addition of new
> items.  I appreciate that one might not necessarily want all entries in
> the order they appear in the score.
>
> Unfortunately, what I wrote doesn't work.

No, and I think it can't be made to work since it's quite un-LilyPond-y.

What about something like (just a shot in the dark)

\edMods test \with {
  a = \with {
    m = 1
    mods = {
      \eMod 1/4 Lyrics #(make-music 'ExtenderEvent)
      \eMod 0/4 Voice \(
  b = \with {
    m = 2
    mods = {
      \eMod Score \tempo "Allegro" 4=135

?

> Is there any likelihood that something similar to what I have suggested
> might be added to Edition Engraver in the forseeable future?

I think interface improvements to the edition-engraver can always we considered.
But we would have to have a thorough discussion in order to be sure they are
really an improvement. I mean a construct as I wrote above can easily become
unwieldy and confusing too. I think there's always a tradeoff between clarity
of structure, number of keystrokes etc. Such a nested structure tends to be
more prone to problems through nesting brackets ...

> And how near are we to seeing Edition Engraver included in Lilypond
> itself?

No idea about that, but I think it's quite a way to go until we can consider
this.
Urs