Re: Force Lilypond to preserve vertical order of TextScripts?

From: Mason Hock
Subject: Re: Force Lilypond to preserve vertical order of TextScripts?
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 18:18:04 -0800

On 02/18, Saul Tobin wrote:
> This is exactly the sort of situation I'm talking about. You're correct
> that the order doesn't change the meaning, just as changing the vertical
> order of instruments in the score doesn't change the scoring. But there is
> a strong convention of how to order different types of text instructions

Indeed, but as layout these decisions are not part of the musical information.
When you include these instuctions in an include file containing the musical
content of a player's part, you are only indicating that and when these
instructions apply. If the order in which you enter the instructions were to
affect their placement in the score, one of Lilypond's greatest strengths, the
ability to separate layout from content, would be compromised. Any override to
Lilypond's behavior that applies to the entire score is better off done
globally, in a separate file from those containing content.

Mason