Re: Force Lilypond to preserve vertical order of TextScripts?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Force Lilypond to preserve vertical order of TextScripts?
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 21:47:56 -0500

Hi Saul,

> I'm actually surprised that ordering behavior isn't documented. It's so
> consistent 99% of the time I just assumed it was officially defined behavior.

Well, <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/learning/automatic-behavior>
says “If two objects have the same outside-staff-priority the one encountered
first will be placed closer to the staff.” It continues: “In the following
example all the markup texts have the same priority (since it is not explicitly
set).” So far, so good.

But then: “Note that ‘Text3’ is automatically positioned close to the staff
again, nestling under ‘Text2’.” [!!] So there is some skyline (vertical and/or
horizontal) calculation going on. Have you tried your "problem" score with all
skylines turned off (etc.), to see if it makes a difference? That's not
something you probably want to have as a global setting, but it might give you
more insight into why you’re seeing the current behaviour.

Hope that helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info