Re: Entering (lute) tablature

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Entering (lute) tablature
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 23:11:38 -0000

Werner LEMBERG wrote Monday, March 20, 2017 3:25 AM

> Note that there is a fundamental problem with the transcription:
> It's not clear how long accidentals are valid.  For such unmetered
> music it probably makes most sense to always write accidentals.
> A problematic place is for example bar 13, fourth quarter: the chord
> must be <d f d>, not <d fis d>.

Simply adding \accidentalStyle Score.no-reset seems to be a reasonable
compromise, at least for this example.

> Regardless of that, there is a typo.  A tablature rhythm indicator is
> missing for the dotted chord in bar 22.

Not a typo, but a fault in my toy lute-tab-duration engraver, now fixed.
Thanks for spotting that!

Both these changes are included in the attached, which also uses the
Fronimo Gavotta font to indicate fret numbers.  This font is freely
available except for commercial use, so it can't be included in the LP
distribution, unfortunately.  There is also a problem with this font
(not apparent here) when the score contains bass courses.  The font
contains suitable glyphs for indicating bass courses, but as composite
symbols.  The separate symbol "/" which LP expects to find when
rendering bass courses is included but at a different code point.

It would be nice to have a custom font looking like this installed in
LP for rendering baroque lute tab.  It would need only around 20
characters.

Also, David's method of entering bars of irregular length causes the
bar numbering to be incorrect, although the bar lines appear in the
correct positions.

Trevor