Re: Entering (lute) tablature

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Entering (lute) tablature
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 22:54:34 -0000

David Kastrup wrote Sunday, March 19, 2017 10:11 PM

> Here is my version using
>
> \new TabStaff \with { stringTunings = \lute-tuning
>   tablatureFormat = #fret-letter-tablature-format
>   fretLabels = \markuplist \bold \fontsize #3 \lower #0.2
>   { π”ž π”Ÿ 𝔠 𝔑 𝔒 𝔣 𝔀 π”₯ 𝔦 𝔨 𝔩 π”ͺ 𝔫 𝔬 𝔭 }
>  } \content
>
> (\bold does not seem to work, however):

Much nicer.

Re font-embedding, the attached uses the characters you suggested above,
in a pdf produced  by LP running in Frescobaldi (if that matters).  Is there
a problem with font embedding now?

(BTW, on second thoughts, I think the smudge could be an e - note A - as
shown here.)

> Of course, getting good notes out requires _more_ than this since the
> tablature only shows note starts, not note ends.  That makes it easy to
> enter everything as one voice, but in a proper note rendition one would
> want to let a number of notes have longer note values and use multiple
> voices.

Yes, but for many users simply being able to enter and reproduce lute
_tab_ (which can't express note lengths or ends, at least not precisely)
would be a very welcome addition to LP.  This doesn't need multiple
voices, AFAIUI.

Trevor