RE: Exited with return code -1073741819.

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: RE: Exited with return code -1073741819.
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 23:07:16 +1100

Hi Ming,

We have been through this before, I am sorry to say. You write lilypond code in a way that compiles, yes, but it is pathological in the extreme, to put it mildly. You set each and every bar as a variable, and when there are several voices, introduce new parallel voices in every bar. As an example for the others, this is what you do:

lft.46 = { <<{g2 f2}\\{d1}>> |}

lft.47 = { <<{r4 ef4~ <ef g>2}\\{g,1}>> |}

lft.48 = \lft.47

lft.49 = { <<{r4 f4~ <f a>2}\\{a,1}>> |}

lft.50 = { <<{r4 e!4 g2}\\{a,2. 4}>> |}

lft.51 = { <<{r4 <f'a'>2.}\\{<d d'>1}>> |}

lft.52 = { <<{r4 <f'a'>2.}\\{cs'1}>> |}

lft.53 = { <<{r4 <f'a'>2.}\\{c'!1}>> |}

lft.54 = { <<{r4 <f'a'>2.}\\{b1}>> |}

lft.55 = { <<{r4 a4~ <a d'f'>2}\\{d1}>> |}

lft.56 = { <<{r4 c4 a2}\\{f,1}>> |}

lft.57 = { <<{r4 g2.}\\{c1}>> |}

There is no earthly reason for doing this, and I have no idea where you got this idea from. The problem with being idiosyncratic and uniquely individual in programming is that it makes it very hard nad needlessly time consuming for other people to help you, having to wade through all this non standard weirdness. I am not surprised the error keeps shifting around. We had the same thing last time if you care to consult your notes. I imagine lilypond sees all these needless constructs, and because they are just strange and nobody codes like that, latent obscure bugs are triggered with out of resource type errors, or who knows what, because nobody would test code that looks like this.

Everybody here is prepared to give their time and skill to helping out the community, but I am afraid you will have to learn to code in a more normal style for piano and SATB with several voices. Do you lack examples? I am sure we can find you some.

I am sorry if this sounds harsh. It not intended to be a personal criticism nor is it an attack, it’s just that a) if you write normal scores I am sure your continual issues will evaporate and b) we can really only help when your scores are of a more normal form. I hope you understand. I also need to write this email to deter others in the future from coming up with strange solutions such as the way you encode your work.

Andrew