Re: HELP: Trill line without 'tr' written before it

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: HELP: Trill line without 'tr' written before it
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 13:14:22 -0400

Hi David,

>    "horn1" = { ... }
>    \"horn1"
> already works

I toyed with that, but was/am not a big fan of the quotes.

> and keeps the stuff in different variables.

Hmmm… Maybe I’m misunderstanding. I thought this new feature would allow one to
write

    horn.1 = { c d }
    horn.2 = { e f }
    …
    horn.8 = { c’ d’ }

and then access them like

    <<
      \new Staff \horn.1
      \new Staff \horn.2

Did I misunderstand?

> so does \horn-I \horn-II ... \horn-VIII

That’s what I have ended up doing in my scores to date… but names like that
neither sort pleasingly, nor parse readily into my eyes and brain. I was/am
hoping for a cleaner solution, and thought this feature was one.

Cheers,
Kieren.

p.s. Having now done a number of large-forces scores, if the new feature really
doesn’t offer me any advantage(s), I'll probably switch to using the “quoted
numbered names" solution: it requires fewer keystrokes overall, and the names
are more human- [or at least Kieren-] readable.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info
‣ email: address@hidden