Re: Text centralized above a TextSpan

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Text centralized above a TextSpan
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 19:09:27 -0500

David,

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 3:48 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
David Nalesnik <address@hidden> writes:

> (As an aside: I must say that David's suggestion of using lyrics
> produces miraculous results without the hundreds and hundreds of lines
> of new code!  Don't want a connector line?  Don't write a hyphen.
> Etc.)

Actually, we might have had some miscommunication.  I was not really
suggesting using a lyrics context, just \lyricsmode as a user interface.
The idea was more or less to pick the music _expression_ apart and then
let your code do the work.

OK, I see.  Using \lyricmode would be a user-friendly way to specify markups/strings, connectors/no connectors, and relative spacing of texts through attached durations (making the use of spacers--somewhat awkward to handle--unnecessary).

However, (re-)using engravers for the "picking apart" bit in a context
without its own vertical axis group might be an interesting option.
Want several text spanners?  Use several contexts.

I'll need to experiment a bit before I can say I understand!

Thanks,
David