Re: Re: Chords and what they mean

From: 70147persson
Subject: Re: Re: Chords and what they mean
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 23:52:14 +0200

On 2015-09-19 13:52, Johan Vromans wrote:
On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 01:05:12 +0200
address@hidden wrote:

This should, by means of a translation table, take my input and
translate it into LP code. So when I write c:sus this will be changed to
e.g. c:sus4 (or perhaps c:1.4.5) before it is dealt with by LP, and when
I write c:5 it is translated into c:1.5.
This can easily be done with small Perl script. Even a one-liner like

   perl -pe 's/:sus(?!4)/:sus4/g;' -e 's/:5(?![.\/])/:5.1/g;' myfile.ly |
lilypond -o myout -

A table-driven solution would require a couple of more lines.

If you give me the exact transformations I'll write it for you.

-- Johan

You are certainly completely right. The transformation is quite simple, so a script in perl or awk or any similar program can easily solve the task. But can you use it in an integrated environment, like Frescobaldi-LilyPond, which I have come to appreciate a lot. I can think you have to write my (version of) LP code, run it through the filter (the script) then import this new file into Frescobaldi to run it in LP, or possibly put it directly into LP. Well possibly you can use a pipe, but I do not see how.

My dream is to have all this integrated in the environment, so, to make it flexible, you feed some database or table or something with your transforms, preferable only once, and then you can forget it. Thereafter you write your code, and on its way into LP it is transformed according to the content in the table. So from LP you get the correct printout and midi and so on despite the code is written "my" way.

Thomas Morley has written a procedure in scheme, which therefore has the better opportunities for integration, but I have not yet had the time to test it.
/Kaj