Re: Glossary index [was: how to get notes without tails?]

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Glossary index [was: how to get notes without tails?]
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 16:39:10 +0200

Am 31.08.2015 um 16:13 schrieb BB:
Just to annoy again, some additional remarks concerning entry acciaccatura.

I wonder that there is no English entry for acciaccatura?
That’s because in English as well as in German the Italian term is used for lack of a proper consistent terminology with similar authority.

Should be "grace note", grace standing for "gracefulness"?
Grace note is the category for all of these, be they long or short, slashed or not, slurred or not (before or on the beat…).

The German entry "Zusammenschlag" is a bit strange,
Indeed, I’ve never heard that either.

For what I know, German terminology differentiates between ‚Vorschlag‘ (likely corresponding to acciaccatura) and ‚Vorhalt‘ (likely corresponding to appoggiatura). But there are no actual counterparts to ‘grace note’ or ‘slashed grace’. And in general there are many different traditions and opinions on what the differences are and how each version is to be played.

Regards, Simon