Re: Glossary index [was: how to get notes without tails?]

From: BB
Subject: Re: Glossary index [was: how to get notes without tails?]
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 16:13:40 +0200

Just to annoy again, some additional remarks concerning entry acciaccatura.

I wonder that there is no English entry for acciaccatura?
Should be "grace note", grace standing for "gracefulness"?
The German entry "Zusammenschlag" is a bit strange, I have not heard it used by musicians but do not think it is wrong. I would call it "Verzierung" oder "Schmucknote" (nothing to do with the american "schmuck", but with "adornment note") oder "ein verzierender Ton". And to make things worse, there is a grace note possible befor another note, in German "Vorschlag" (may be translated to something like "hit before") or "Vorschlagsnote" or after another note, "Nachschlag" (may be translated to something like "hit afterwards") or "Nachschlagsnote".

Not to forget that there exists a appoggiatura ( a long grace note) as well, contrary to the acciaccatura (the short grace note).

I did some banjo country and some blues and there were such notes mostly called "grace notes", if they needed special mentioning.

May be other German readers may disagree - no problem, everybody has his own experience. .

Regards