Re: Glossary index [was: how to get notes without tails?]

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Glossary index [was: how to get notes without tails?]
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 18:47:20 +0200

Am 31.08.2015 um 17:40 schrieb BB:
I avoided using "Vorhalt". A "Vorhalt" is not a proper word in this context. A "Vorhalt" is in English a "suspension". That means that in a shift of harmony from one chord to another one or more notes of the first chord are played again (or held, prolonged) against the second chord, so I understand this as a suspension, a delay of the change to the new chord creating tension that will be resolved with the new harmony or note. So, "Vorhalt" has nothing in common with any grace note. A suspension must use the same note(s) present in the preceding chord. Otherwise it is an appoggiatura.

But indeed some people in Germany use "Vorschlag" and "Vorhalt" faulty as synonymously.
You saw that I didn’t do so?
And yes, there are both uses of the term ‚Vorhalt‘.

Yours, Simon