Re: sus7 chords in \chordmode

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: sus7 chords in \chordmode
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 23:30:18 -0500

Hi Elaine,

> what is wrong with interpreting that the 7th resolve to a 6th?  That seems
> pretty coherent.

Agreed! I see absolutely nothing wrong with that, and didn’t intend to imply
otherwise. I was just pointing out that applying consistent assumptions about
voice-leading and traditional suspension resolutions highlights the ambiguity
in the notation “Csus7”: it could mean

    <c e g> + b, suggesting a [fixed-root] resolution to <c e g> + a  (i.e.,
7-6 sus)

or

   <c g bf> + f, suggesting a [fixed-root] resolution to <c g bf> + e (i.e.,
4-3 sus)

That’s why I strongly prefer the notation “Csus7” (or even something like the
awkward “Csus+7”) only if you mean the [relatively rare] first example, and
“C7sus4” if you mean the [far more common] second example.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
www:  <http://www.kierenmacmillan.info>