Re: sus7 chords in \chordmode

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: sus7 chords in \chordmode
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 23:06:56 -0500

Hi Elaine,

> Precisely my point: we DON'T have a dominant chord here.  The starting
> assumption is wrong.

To every player I’ve ever played with — and that’s a lot, in both jazz and
musical theatre bands — the chord <c f g bf> is a dominant 7th with alteration.

> Yet, when this symbol is "sus", you want to say that the sus modifies what
> comes after it. Why the discrepancy?

There is no discrepancy at all: “Amin” implies “a triad, built on A, in the
minor mode”; “Asus4” implies “a triad, built on A, with a suspended 4th”;
“A7sus4” implies “a dominant seventh chord, built on A, with a suspended 4th” —
completely consistent. In the latter two cases, “sus” modifies the chord that
comes before it (i.e., the major or minor triad, or dominant 7), just like the
“min” modifies the chord that comes before it in the first case.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
www:  <http://www.kierenmacmillan.info>