Re: Lines and Ties and Slurs oh my!

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Lines and Ties and Slurs oh my!
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 18:46:20 +0100

address@hidden writes:

>   I will select examples of ties and slurs from Goldberg on 2.18.0 and put
> together a minimalist
> exposition for discussion.
>
>        So, I guess the final solution is to do some programming work.
> Hmm... what if we paid someone to do the work?  Can we raise money
> through kickstarter for this kind of project?

It definitely depends on who "we" is.  It also depends on who "someone"
is.

At the current point of time, a significant ratio of regular list users
is supporting me financially for working on LilyPond.  The ties are in
the backend, and I am not currently doing significant work there.

So for a separate tie project, it would be nice to raise money from
people not already investing in LilyPond.  A particular and popular show
project like Goldberg would probably help.

However, LilyPond does not produce MusicXML, so you won't get, say,
Finale users to contribute based on the (likely overoptimistic)
expectation that they will be able to use the MusicXML in their own
software.

So extending reach much beyond the LilyPond community itself might be
tricky.

On the other side of the equation, you need someone to do the work, and
the LilyPond code base is humongous and complex.  If you don't want to
spend 3/4 of the money (if you are lucky) for getting someone acquainted
with the code, you'll probably need to look for people with previous
experience.  _And_ available time.

That might also be tricky.

>     What if we set a similar goal for lilypond ties / slurs..  and
> made an example of the Goldberg Variations for Guitar Ensemble?

So the goal would be to have it nicely typeset without tweaking ties
manually?

--
David Kastrup