Re: Lines and Ties and Slurs oh my!

From: Shane Brandes
Subject: Re: Lines and Ties and Slurs oh my!
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 12:30:02 -0500

I am currently working on a score that was originally engraved
somewhere between 1839- 1869. The date is unfortunately omitted. So
after doing all the proofreading I began looking at things that should
be changed to modern practice or just looked for things that appeared
out of sorts and as I went through looking at the ties and slurs, it
was astonishing how closely for the most part Lilypond made near exact
reproductions of the original shapes of the slurs it was sort of
creepy in a way, in so far as there is no reason Lilypond code should
have been exposed to a now obscure publishing house. While there are
minor things here and there that could "improved," but it does not
seem worth the effort.
   There really is something to be said for having slight amounts of
imperfections. It is really more human in a way. I know we are
conditioned in this age to have everything exactly perfect and it
causes a sort of bland beauty which is also somehow unpleasantly
sterile. This shows in so many aspects of our civilization, our music
is dreadfully dry in performance and machine like, our buildings now
that they are Cad drawn are increasingly divorced from the human form
and the natural dimensions we inspired in earlier architecture, and
most of automobiles in current production look like used bars of soap.
   So while I find the pursuit of perfection somehow attractive there
is definitely a downside to this endeavor and maybe the time would be
more worthwhile spent working on other areas of the program that
could, in fact, use more attention for improvement.

Shane