Re: Lines and Ties and Slurs oh my!

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Lines and Ties and Slurs oh my!
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 11:07:25 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2014 9:01 PM
Subject: Lines and Ties and Slurs oh my!

Howdy!

     It is well known that Ties and Slurs are problematic in LilyPond
2.18.0. As can be seen by
a simple example from my project "Goldberg Variations for Guitar Ensemble"
variation 22

        http://www.gooeytar.com/projects/BWV-988/test/test.orig.pdf

        Notice that Ties in bar 1 are different than Ties in bar 2 or bar
4 or bar 7. Termination
of the Tie is not consistent.

If we follow the recommendation of the widely quoted Gould: Behind bars, then there's no reason why ties should be consistent. She explicitly states that they can vary, depending on whether the notehead is on a stave line or between them, whether space is tight, whether there is other notation, etc., etc. The ones you quote as inconsistent are in different positions on the stave, and I would therefore not expect them to be the same.

--
Phil Holmes