Re: Version control tools

From: Simon Bailey
Subject: Re: Version control tools
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 11:24:29 +0100

hi,

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 10:20 AM, <address@hidden> wrote:
Joram:
> Simon Bailey:
> > so, my follow up question: why use git as a single user?
>
> I always use git, event git-svn for svn repos.
> Comparing to CVS and SVN, I see these advantages:
>
> - easy branching

what for when working with scores?

> - I am a heavy user of git rebase

which does what?

> - being able to commit, branch, diff etc. without internet connection

how often do you branch or diff when working on scores?

>   that way I can work on a train, for example

hmm. i do a lot of work on trains. however, i have a data plan on my phone which i use for tethering if i need a connection.

> - this makes the commit often & early paradigm easy

i understand this when working on software programs. but on music scores?

With svn/cvs you need more-or-less a permanent connection to
"the server". With git I can work off-line and update (both ways)
when connected.

i only need the connection with SVN if i'm actually committing. with git i can commit offline, but then when i get a data connection i have to commit again to the repo? that's two steps compared to one with SVN. i still don't get it. especially as i generally commit when i reach certain milestones or at the end of a working day.

don't get me wrong, i'm really trying to find a reason to like git. but nothing seems different to SVN so far, except for the fact that i have to commit TWICE...

Urs also pointed out: