Re: Engraving challenges

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Engraving challenges
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 10:26:45 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Urs Liska" <address@hidden> To: "lilypond-user" <address@hidden>; "Janek WarchoĊ‚" <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 4:15 PM
Subject: Engraving challenges

Hi all,

recently we discussed about comparing LilyPond's performance with that of competing programs
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2013-11/msg00323.html),
and I've finally managed to set something up.
It's a Github repository along with a kind of "Contributor's Guide":

https://github.com/openlilylib/engraving-challenges

I've prepared a first "challenge", a page of late romantic piano music, but will keep it secret until we'll actually have participants.

Questions:

a)
Who would be interested in participating by giving it a try with another program? As discussed sufficient proficiency with the tool and a current version is required.

I would be interested and willing to use Sibelius 7.0.

b)
Who would be interested in participating with LilyPond?
Of course with LilyPond it'll be easy to do it collaboratively, while I don't really see how Finale users should do the same.

I'll let someone else.

My main concern is the emphasis on git. Sibelius runs on my Windows box and I don't generally use git on that at all. Sibelius also only produces binary files, so there's no point in trying to track or collaborate through git. How would a Windows/non-git machine proceed?

--
Phil Holmes