Re: Is this issue 2802?

From: Jim Long
Subject: Re: Is this issue 2802?
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 15:24:34 -0800

Well, I spent the time to create the attached minimal example of
what I'm intrepreting as (one mode of) exposure to issue 2802.
But I sometimes have difficulty determining precisely which issue
in the tracker might be responsible for behaviour anomalies that
I run into, and I'm certainly not an expert in LP internals.

The puzzling bit about creating this ME -- and the frustrating
thing about encountering it in the wild -- is that it appears to
be triggered by (seemingly) unrelated code (not located in the
bar where the anomaly appears), and that seemingly
inconsequential factors (such as a specific chosen pitch) trigger
whether the problem happens or not.  I say "seemingly" because
obviously, they are related, or this wouldn't be happening.  But
because I don't understand *how* they're related, it's difficult
to work around the problem when it occurs.

I don't mean to rewite anyone's agenda, I'm just hoping to add
more data points on this tracked issue.  If other users are
seeing similar behaviour, please chime in, and/or star the issue
in the tracker.

Issue 2802 cites the absence of a note column as an underlying
cause of misalignments *between* staves (such as a chord staff
mis-aligned to whole-measure rests in the melody staff, as my ME
illustrates).  I am attaching a small image clip of a possible
variant of this issue.  This clip shows a collision occurring
between an otherwise well-aligned note column and the key
signature of the same (melody) staff.

If this new variant is significantly different from the known
strains of 2802, let me know, and I will work on producing a
minimal example of this second variant.

Thank you,

Jim