Volunteers for a few comparison experiments

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Volunteers for a few comparison experiments
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 11:04:03 +0100

Hi all,

while Janek is writing down his experiences with a complex engraving challenge I thought it would be a good idea to do some honest comparisons with other tools face with the same challenge.

Janek is somewhat disappointed by aspects of LilyPond's performance, and I have the idea it would be good to put him (and his readers) in the right perspective by having some actual comparisons. While I have to admit he's right with his criticisms I assume in some (or all) aspects other tools would have failed completely ;-) And as I'm not happy with this unbacked assumption I would like to have some volunteers willing to engrave a few complex examples with Finale and Sibelius (up-to-date versions and sufficient experience required).

I'm not sure if this will lead to publications in our blog, but it's possible. And I'm not interested in simple proof of LilyPond's superiority but honest comparisons.

So if you're using one of the mentioned tools or any other engraving software, feel comfortable enough with it to do serious engraving of complex piano music and are interested in such a benchmark, please contact me.

What we'd be interested in is basically:
- What does the program achieve with only the musical structure entered (no manual tweaking)? - how problematic/tedious/reliable is it to improve the sample to publication quality?

Looking forward ...
Urs