Re: Mandatory or a cautionary accidental?

From: Simon Bailey
Subject: Re: Mandatory or a cautionary accidental?
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 09:04:53 +0200

hi,

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
> In the following situation is the sharp in gis' a mandatory or a cautionary
> accidental:
>
> {
>
>   \key a \major
>
>   g'1 ~
>
>   \break
>
>   g'2 gis'
>
> }
>

> ?
>
> Embarassingly I'm not sure about that right now but have to know.
> The original edition I'm copying omits the reminder flat after the line
> break and the sharp at the gis,
> and I've to know how to deal with the situation.

I wouldn't like to claim authoritative knowledge, but music theory i
learnt states that the note tied over keeps the alteration of before.
a new bar (for accidentals) starts _after_ any tied notes. so ignore a
tied note for accidental usage. i'd typeset a cautionary accidental.

however, baroque [and earlier] usage _may_ differ.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of trombonists, for they are subtle and
quick to anger.