Re: Mandatory or a cautionary accidental?

From: Christ van Willegen
Subject: Re: Mandatory or a cautionary accidental?
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 09:09:51 +0200

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> In the following situation is the sharp in gis' a mandatory or a
>> cautionary accidental:
>
>> The original edition I'm copying omits the reminder flat after the
>> line break and the sharp at the gis,
>> and I've to know how to deal with the situation.
>
> In that case, a sharp would be cautionary.  Leaving it off, however, is
> not particularly friendly to musicians.

In theory, it's simple: Tied notes keep their alteration(s), and any
new note in a new measure loses its alteration(s). In practise, my
choir conductor got it wrong, stating that a new note on the second
line from the bottom (or 'g' in a G clef) would be a g# because a tied
g# led into the measure. Even though a few measure earlier there was
an example of almost the same situation, but with a natural sign
before the 2nd note in the measure...

So, indeed, put both the cautionary flat and cautionary natural sign
in in this case, just to make it clear what's to be played (or sung)!

Christ van Willegen
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0