A question of list etiquette and images. (Was Re: Short stems)

From: Arle Lommel
Subject: A question of list etiquette and images. (Was Re: Short stems)
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 07:03:24 +0100

First off, thanks very much, Harm, for taking the time to review my issue and
provide a detailed response, despite the complaint about images. I will work
with it and see how it works out.

Now please forgive me for diverting from Lilypond-related matters to issues of
the list etiquette. My issue is raised by this statement:

> please:
> DON'T POST INLINE-IMAGES!
> Attach them!
> I'm surely not alone with filtering them out.

It provides an interesting conundrum. I use a Macintosh with the default client
(Apple Mail) or a mobile device (iPhone) with the built-in mail client. With
neither of those is there any distinction between in-line and attached images
at all. In other words, short of changing my entire mail set up, I don't have
any choice* but to post inline images.

The best I could do is put images at the end of the message, but that doesn't
address the issue you raise at all since they are still, even then, treated as
inline images and it only changes the location within the message.

(*OK, technically there is a kludge from the Terminal to change default
behavior to not allow in-line viewing—on the Mac, but not, as far as I can
tell, on the iPhone—, but it ends up disrupting normal function of the mail
programs and would require quitting the program, changing the default in the
terminal, and restarting the mail program just to deal with the list. Nor, as
far as I can tell, would it fix the problem for someone else. I believe it only
changes the display preference for me.)

Given that, does anyone have any suggestions to how behave nicely for list
members like Harm when images are involved? Sometimes graphics are needed, and
from a user perspective being able to say "like this" is very useful. Surely if
Harm is not alone in filtering them out, I am also not alone in using current
mail clients that don't make the distinction Harm wants me to make. I'm surely
not the only one for whom "DON'T POST INLINE-IMAGES! Attach them!” is a dictum
that cannot be complied with because it is not a meaningful one in our software.

Best regards,

Arle