Re: musescore lands sponsoring?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: musescore lands sponsoring?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 17:31:49 +0200

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

> Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke <at> gnu.org> writes:
>

>> Wouldn't LilyPond have been a technically superior choice for this
>> sponsoring project?  What are we missing?
>
> Somebody who was willing to run a Kickstarter project and make it
> happen.

It is not just that.  There are also a few advantages:

a) MusicXML export means the results are usable in a variety of notation
   programs making use of an open standard.

b) volunteers can be given a complete toolchain.  "You can use an editor
   of your choice" is about as helpful for the average musician as "You
   can use a lathe of your choice".

c) "Ok, let's assume I have a MIDI keyboard hooked up to my computer for
   note entry.  How do I go from there?" "Bring the keyboard back to the
   store.  We are not going to use it anyway."

d) "I am well-versed in LilyPond.  What form do you want the entry in?
   Can I use music functions?  What note language should I be using?
   Should the voicing be reflected in ad-hoc voices?  Should I be using
   anonymous parallel voices?  What kind of context mods should I be
   using?"  "Uh, we better form a committee for that kind of question."

--
David Kastrup