Re: musescore lands sponsoring?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: musescore lands sponsoring?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 13:18:09 -0300

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 4:56 AM, Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> wrote:

> Just to make sure you have seen
>

> http://www.opengoldbergvariations.org/b-sendorfer-sponsors-open-goldberg-project-providing-concert-grand-ceus-recording-technology-0
>
> Wouldn't LilyPond have been a technically superior choice for this
> sponsoring project?

Yes, certainly.

> What are we missing?

Werner is a crack coder, just look at
https://github.com/musescore/MuseScore to see how he cranked this out
in just 3 days.

kidding aside, I think a GUI appeals to more people, both developers,
users and passers-by (I notice some people that used to be active on
the LilyPond list on their site). What I don't get is that they chose
a Bach work as a demo. While interesting from a typesetting
perspective, the primary value of MuseScore is not copying existing
work, but being able to edit new works.

I wonder how much tweaks they needed to get the output they are showing.

Also, their sponsorship was for a recorded version of the work, ie.
for sound. More people are interested in sound rather than printed
matter.