Re: Cheat Sheet

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Cheat Sheet
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 16:03:15 +0100

Michael Ellis <address@hidden> writes:

> Ah! So the simple rule about simple rules still applies :-)
> Back to my previous approach, then: Use point and click to select the
> first note with the wrong octave, change it, and re-run lilypond.

Or write octave checks.

In relative mode, it is easy to forget an octave changing mark.  Octave
checks make such errors easier to find by displaying a warning and
correcting the octave if a note is found in an unexpected octave.

   To check the octave of a note, specify the absolute octave after the
`=' symbol.  This example will generate a warning (and change the
pitch) because the second note is the absolute octave `d''' instead of
`d'' as indicated by the octave correction.

     \relative c'' {
       c2 d='4 d
       e2 f
     }

   The octave of notes may also be checked with the
`\octaveCheck CONTROLPITCH' command.  `CONTROLPITCH' is specified in
absolute mode.  This checks that the interval between the previous note
and the `CONTROLPITCH' is within a fourth (i.e., the normal calculation
of relative mode).  If this check fails, a warning is printed, but the
previous note is not changed.  Future notes are relative to the
`CONTROLPITCH'.

     \relative c'' {
       c2 d
       \octaveCheck c'