Re: Cheat Sheet

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Cheat Sheet
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 10:30:15 +0100

Am 09.11.2011 17:31, schrieb David Kastrup:
"Trevor Daniels"<address@hidden>  writes:

David Kastrup wrote Wednesday, November 09, 2011 3:03 PM

  The octave of notes may also be checked with the
`\octaveCheck CONTROLPITCH' command.  `CONTROLPITCH' is specified in
absolute mode.  This checks that the interval between the previous
note
and the `CONTROLPITCH' is within a fourth (i.e., the normal
calculation
of relative mode).
This is a popular misconception, but it is wrong, as
you can see by introducing various accidentals.
I was merely quoting the manual, so if you have something to complain,
do it there.

"within a fourth" is equivalent to a distance of "three staff spaces or less". Lilypond doesn't take accidentals into account (which is of course a good thing).
c fis is a fourth
c fis, is a fifth
ces fis is a fourth - so it will be the fis above the ces although it sounds like a fifth.

So I think the quoted sentences are correct.
The "popular misconception" is that only an unaltered fourth counts as a fourth.

You may think of suggesting a documentation enhancement to make this more clear, but I don't really think it is necessary.

HTH
Urs