Re: Cheat Sheet

From: Michael Ellis
Subject: Re: Cheat Sheet
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 09:49:07 -0500

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 9:38 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Michael Ellis <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>     It does _not_ depend on the context the notes live in - it depends
>     only on the order in which they appear in the input file.
>

> Thanks, that's an easy-to-remember rule.  It deserves prominent
> placement in the documentation.

It is also wrong.  This just holds for durations.  Relative octaves are
not tracked in the input, but instead are generated when \relative is
called.  This is established at the point of time when a music list is
getting iterated.  If you entered the whole music list "naturally"
instead of having music functions and music variables provide bits and
pieces, then you get roughly input order, except that after chords, the
respective octave for the next element is taken from the first element
of the chord.  There may be further details.  Use occasional octave
checks if you tend to get things wrong.

Ah! So the simple rule about simple rules still applies :-)
Back to my previous approach, then: Use point and click to select the first note with the wrong octave, change it, and re-run lilypond.