RE: First page completed; tweaking questions

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: First page completed; tweaking questions
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 15:40:32 +0000

Hello,
________________________________
From: address@hidden address@hidden on behalf of Ivan Kuznetsov address@hidden
Sent: 09 April 2011 21:54
To: address@hidden
Subject: First page completed; tweaking questions

I have my first page of music notated with lilypond here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/address@hidden/5603253711/

-------

Ivan,

Generally it is difficult help without getting some idea of how you have
constructed your original file, as there are many ways to do the 'same' thing
in LilyPond which may affect the response you get (if any) so *just* a screen
shot is not always the best way of conveying what you want.

Always try to include a small example of the .ly file where the issue occurs

See:

http://lilypond.org/website/tiny-examples.html

This helps us help you.

Now to some of your points...

------

CONCERNING area's marked in red A1 and A2:

Sometimes I require one note to have two stems indicating
that the note belongs to two voices.  A2 worked out
as I intended but for A1, ideally I would just like the
half-note G# visible and the triplet eighth-note G# invisible,
so that the first stem of the triplet is the a stem
attached to the half-note G# (and the half-note G# still has
its downward stem also).  How can this be achieved?

----

I don't really follow what you want here to give you an answer, but it would be
instructive (I think) if you walk through this 'real world' example in the
Learning Manual

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/learning/real-music-example

as it covers things like this - joining note heads and/or stems.

-----

CONCERNING the area's marked B1, B2, B3, and B4:

Look at B1 for example.  The triplet bracket circled is
too short, I want all triplet brackets to take the "entire
duration", not just go to the last stem.

----

Again it is worth looking at the Learning Manual to learn to find your way
around the 'Internals Reference' manual as the internal reference manual is the
place where all these kinds of settings are to be found. It can look quite
difficult at first (it was for me anyway) but the sections in the Learning
Manual helped.

See:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/learning/tweaking-basics

and

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/learning/the-internals-reference-manual

As to extending the Tuplet Bracket Line (which I think is what you mean) look
at this simple example to illustrate what I mean.

\relative {
 % Here is a simple example with default output
  \times 2/3 { c d e f } g a b c
 % Here is the same example but with the 'shorten pair' values changed. Play to
suit your own requirements
 % The right side of the tuplet bracket increases in length without the note
spacing changing within the staff
  \override Voice.TupletBracket #'shorten-pair = #'(-0.2 . -12)
  \times 2/3 { c d e f } g a b c
}

Also see

http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Snippet?id=398

----

Also, in the special case of B1, where I have two
voices each with a triplet, notationally only one
bracket is necessary.  Is there any way to make one
of the bracket's "invisible" (like an "s" rest)?

----

See http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=337

To remove the number as well you'd need

\override TupletNumber #'stencil = ##f

As the number and the 'bracket' are two different 'grobs'.

----

CONCERNING the area's marked C1, C2, and C3:
Can I tilt the right side of the triplet bracket
down at C1 and C3?  At C2i, can I tilt the
left side of the beam upwards so it is over the rest?

Again here is a simple example to show you the tweak I think you need here

\relative {
  \times 2/3 { c d e f } g a b c
  \override Voice.TupletBracket #'positions = #'(-6 . -3)
  \times 2/3 { c d e f } g a b c
}

The two numbers will control the overall angle, so you can use them to suit
your example.

I hope this helps

James