Re: new website draft 8: almost giving up

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: new website draft 8: almost giving up
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 20:52:58 -0700

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 10:55:52AM -0400, Chris Snyder wrote:
> Graham Percival wrote:
> > hey, that's life in open-source projects!  If you feel at all
> > enthusiastic about the new website, please consider helping.
>
> I'd like to help, though I realize it's quite late in the game for me to
> get up to speed on the environment you're using. One major area I see is
> the editing environments page (which, as far as I can see, doesn't
> currently exist).

IMO, such a page is best reserved until people have a little bit
of experience with lilypond.  As such, I'm looking at LM 1.x
(where x>1) or possibly in the AU, having been mentioned and
linked previously.

I could be convinced that it should be added to Introduction, but
it would take a moderate amount of work.  Until people have tried
typesetting a few examples, would they really see the benefit of
point-and-click, autocompletion, or pop-up help?

Conversely, do we want people referring back to the Introduction
pages after they've decided they want to use lilypond?  The
current idea is that potential users read the Introduction, decide
to use it, download it, then read Manuals and Community.

Granted, several places in the LM and AU link back to the website,
so there's no great harm in putting it in Introduction rather than
one of the manuals.

Cheers,
- Graham