Re: new website draft 8: almost giving up

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: new website draft 8: almost giving up
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 20:43:50 -0700

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 10:12:58PM -0300, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> - The colors in the secondary menu bar don't make sense to me. The
> colors in the top bar are used to indicate which item is selected.
> it's
> impossible to tell at first glance which submenu item you have chosen.

This would be improved if we applied the gradient-backgrounds to
the second-layer menu.

>  Also,  the positioning is awkward to the left.

Would you rather have it centered?  I'm not against such a change.

> - GNU and (new) website can be trimmed from the title.

Done; I changed it to "LilyPond... music notation for everyone".

> - I think the freedom propaganda should be moved elsewhere.  I think
> we are primarily trying to compete on quality of output. I think the
> political background can be trimmed much further at this stage of the
> 'sell'.

Are you referring to the home page, Introduction->(main),
Introducton->Features, or Introduction->Freedom?

I think that Intro->Freedom is fine -- that's the main reason I
started using lilypond.  Besides, if that doesn't appeal to
people, they can easily skip to the main page.

I'm definitely willing to reduce the proganda on other pages.

> - The GPL should just be linked from the gnu site, I think.

Hmm.  We need to include the FDL directly for the pdf+info
manuals.  IMO, if we include it for those outputs, we might as
well include it for HTML as well.  And if we're doing the FDL, we
might as well include the GPL.

I don't think it gets in the way -- again, if somebody clicks on
that menu item by accident, they can easily click somewhere else.

Cheers,
- Graham