Re: GDP: NR 1.1 Pitches 2008-01-26

From: till
Subject: Re: GDP: NR 1.1 Pitches 2008-01-26
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 05:47:04 -0800 (PST)

Graham Percival-2 wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:27:24 +0100
> "Kess Vargavind" <address@hidden> wrote:
>> FORMATTING
>> A small thing that nevertheless greatly would aid me in reading the
>> manual:
>>
>> Paragraphs coming directly after a header is correctly non-indented.
>> Where the problem lies; after illustrations, boxes and tables the
>> paragraphs are indented. Now, I know there are different styles of
>> formatting, and all I wish of you is to think whether this is
>> intentional, if you want it this way. ;) Me, I would be singing hymns
>> of joy if those latter paragraphs where unindented as well (a
>> paragraph following another should be indented of course).
>
> Hmm.  This _is_ deliberate, although I make no claim that it's
> ideal: the current practice is that if the material below an
> example is strongly related to the example, we *do not* indent
> that paragraph.  For example, see 1.1.2 Transpose "Note that we
> specify..."
>
> By default, texinfo does not indent the first paragraph and
> indents all others; we need to specifically override this default
> behavior for the "strongly related" material.
>
> To be honest, I would rather not change this policy; we'd need to
> manually add @noindent after 95% of the lilypond examples, and I
> don't think this change is worth that effort.  (I'm also not
> certain this is a big deal, especially since HTML doesn't indent
> anything)
>
> That said, I'm willing to listen to counterarguments or more
> discussion about this.  And this is /exactly/ the kind of issue
> that I want people to discuss right now -- if there's any general
> formatting issues, we need to settle them now.  :)

Well, I stumbled about this also but thought that it is indeed on purpose
as you said. Writing in Latex I have the habit to enclose graphics, tables,
and so on in the same paragraph -- that is I don't insert a blank line in
between.
In the guidelines for Doc writers to Lilypond this is called "vertiacal
compression"
for what ever reason. To me it just does what I want: that the next
paragraph doesn't
get indented. For what reason is there the "compression" mentioned? Is it an
issue in html? Otherwise I would suggest to insert @lilypond/@example and so
on
without surrounding blank lines, in that way we would easily get the
@noindent without
writing it out.

Greetings
Till