Re: NR 1.1 Pitches 2008-01-26

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: NR 1.1 Pitches 2008-01-26
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 16:35:01 +0100

Valentin Villenave wrote:
2008/1/31, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden>:

Relative octave entry:
There is a much simpler way of describing how this works.
It's in 2.1.2 of the LM: a note is placed in the octave
which is within three staff spaces of the previous note,
ignoring all accidentals.  Simply count staff spaces between
the positions of the two noteheads.  All the talk of
doubly-augmented fourths and double-diminished fifths is
just confusing and unnecessary.

Hi Trevor, I tend to disagree with you on this. I like the current
"conceptual" explanation very much; it makes much more sense from a
musical point of view than yours, which might be simpler but is mainly
about a "graphical" point of view. Could we keep the fourth and fifths
thing somewhere (maybe as a footnote)?
Why not keep both explanations. An explanation that doesn't make sense to
one reader may be exactly what's needed for another reader. Just make sure
that it's two explanations of exactly the same thing.

   /Mats