Re: partcombine, but including rests from quiet voices?

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: partcombine, but including rests from quiet voices?
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 17:06:52 +0100

Am Tuesday, 11. December 2007 schrieb Trevor Daniels:
> I thought my suggestion might be too much manual
> effort, but it's the best I have to offer.  If
> \partcombine worked the way you want that would be
> the obvious solution, but it doesn't.

Yes, apparently, the issue that bites me is that partcombine detects even a
single note played by only one instrument as a "solo". So partcombine will
(almost) never print out a rest in parallel with a note in the other
instrument. In real scores, there is a de-facto threshold before a rest in
one instrument is regarded as a solo in the other instrument. If partcombine
allowed such a (ideally user-settable) threshold property, it would fit my
needs just fine....

> As Mats said,
> we know \partcombine is lacking but I'm not aware of
> any development effort going into it at present.

I would actually work on it to fix my problems. But looking at the code, I'm
absolutely lost, mainly because (a) I don't know how lilypond works
internally (and there is no documentation about this, only the API
documentation, which does not help with understanding how lilypond works),
(b) I'm new to scheme, so reading scheme code takes a bit longer than other
languages like C++, java or python, and (c) I don't really understand the
data structures used, and (d) the scm<=>c bindings and the interaction of the
two languages is also not so clear to me...

So, basically, I would need at least some pointers on where I should start
looking (I suppose in part-combiner.scm, in the determine-split-list
function...? But then, here my problems start, as I don't know anything about
the data structures and the way the part combination really works...).

Cheers,
Reinhold