RE: partcombine, but including rests in quiet voices?

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: RE: partcombine, but including rests in quiet voices?
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 18:04:25 -0000

> In this case, temporary voices won't work,
> because then I no longer have both
> instruments separately.

If you already have the full parts for both
instruments separately then I think the approach
using two voices is still the best, as follows
below:

> The other thing that I have tried is simply
> putting both instruments on the
> same staff as different voices. This, however,
> has other problems:
> 1) notes of the same length are not combined into
> a chord,

No, but doesn't this make it easier to tell when
the two instruments cross over, for example?

> 2) stem directions have to be fixed with
> \voiceOne / \voiceTwo,

Defining a couple of variables makes this easier

> 3) When both instruments have a rest, two rests
> are printed in strange
> locations...

This can be fixed, as follows.  You have to tag
sections where the horns are in unison and where
they are separate in each part, made easier by
defining a couple of variables, in order to get
the rests right.

\version "2.11.34"

One = {\tag #'One {\voiceOne}}
Two = {\tag #'Two {\voiceTwo}}