Re: Turkish makam using regular.ly

From: Adam Good
Subject: Re: Turkish makam using regular.ly
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 22:56:18 -0400

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 12:28 PM Hans Åberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> I made a version that allows one to switch to Helmholtz-Ellis notation,
> with arrow accidentals: Just uncomment the line
>   %    \bravuraOn
> and recompile, making sure that the files definitions.ily and
> smufldata.ily are present, along with the Bravura.otf font.

Hans very nice! Could you please see the attached pdf of Hicazkar Pesrev
from Cemil Bey I created and confirm the Bravura fonts are correct in the
key signature and throughout the piece? I'm completely unfamiliar with
Helmholtz-Ellis.

> So the extra work to get this feature is minimal.

For this to work, dependencies are on:
smufldata.ily
definitions.ily

Are you proposing that they also go into the main Lilypond distribution?

> > One thing to work on and it should be spelled out in the file is the use
> of
> > 2.5 koma...I haven't yet figured that one out. Any thoughts?
>
> What does this refer to?

Have a look at the original makam.ly file. When Han-Wen Nienhuys created
our makam.ly file so many years ago, he was asked to include extra pitch
levels for 2.5 koma and 3 koma for the "Uşşak si" that is often referred to
in Turkish music. I wasn't sold on the idea but others were and for midi,
it makes a difference. Makam Uşşak needs the pitch segah (1k backwards flat
on pitch B) in its standard Turkish notation. Since Uşşak-si actually
sounds much flatter in makam Uşşak, some folks notate it as such and
consider 2.5 or 3 komas.

I've taken care of it, see attached. in makamGlyphs = #`( etc the glyphs
are defined.

> > Attached is also a file showing all of the key signatures
> > defined, turkish-makam-KEYSIGNATURE-DEMO.ly
>
> It calls the version of turkish-makam.ly with your first name suffixed.

True, my error...see attached turkish-makam-KEYSIGNATURE-DEMO.ly

> You have:
>   #(ly:parser-set-note-names parser makamPitchNames)
> In later versions of LilyPond, the "parser" part has been deprecated, so
> it should be:
>   #(ly:parser-set-note-names makamPitchNames)

Right that was working for me on current stable Lilypond. I'll work in Dev
from here on out.

BTW I just added glyph definitions on my end for 54/53, sharp and flat (9
komas. Didn't have those defined yet).

What else?? I feel as though we're incredibly close here.

Further testing to be done:
1. keyAlterationOrder - working very well for all the common makam key
signatures though some crazy transpositions of those give some errors.
Something to test down the road slowly.
2. Hans, on your end, are there any keyAlterationOrder issues using bravura
font?
3. Many of the not so obvious \override KeySignature #'padding-pairs = #'(
are incomplete but these issues come up during weird transpositions. A bit
time consuming to test.

Adam