Re: Language selection code

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Language selection code
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 10:39:24 +0100

Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 27.03.2015 um 09:24 schrieb David Kastrup:
>> Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> triggered by a discussion on -user I have begun to implement a new
>>> \language command which in addition to setting the note names input
>>> language
>> Why would you set the note names input language?
> Huh? That’s only what \language has always been used for.

Then it would seem to be a bad idea to misuse this command for
specifying an output language setting.

> IIUC, you mean: I write a document using \language MY_NATIVE_LANGUAGE
> (thus for input and output), then I want to send it to my french
> publisher (contrived example… :-)), change into \language francais,
> and all the note input is broken?
> In that case you’d have to distinguish input and output language using
> \language input.MY_NATIVE_LANGUAGE
> \language output.francais.
>
> I hope that makes it clearer.

There was nothing unclear to me previously.  I just don't think it makes
any sense to conflate document language selection with the \language
command.  The \language commands works on LilyPond syntax, not on
document language.