Re: Status of Guile 2.0 Support (Next Debian release won't ship guile-1.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Status of Guile 2.0 Support (Next Debian release won't ship guile-1.8)
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 01:44:55 +0200

Don Armstrong <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, 21 Sep 2014, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Don Armstrong <address@hidden> writes:
>> > I'm just trying to keep lilypond in Debian.
>>
>> Yes, that would be very desirable.
>
> So it looks like the guile maintainer is going to be willing to ship
> guile 1.8 if lilypond doesn't support guile 2.0. So keep up the good
> work, but hopefully it won't be as dire of an emergency.

Well, we need to get this over with eventually.  Not least of all so
that GUILE 2.x becomes more robust for and/or aware of the needs of
large-scale applications with a thoroughly integrated C/C++ core.  There
is a group angling for Guile-emacs integration, and they have similar
design/stability problems to contend with and similarly a problem
integrating with an application that has its own ways and needs for
dealing with encoding strings and buffers.

It's good that we don't have a hard make-or-break line here because
I just cannot tell how ready GUILE will be by the end of the year, and
I am pretty sure that we won't have a LilyPond working with GUILE 2.0
_and_ declared stable by the end of the year.  The branch for it, maybe.