Re: See the new music fonts in action

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: See the new music fonts in action
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 14:52:46 +0200

Abraham Lee <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 4:46 AM, Alexander Kobel <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 08/02/2014 09:00 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
>>> Well, looking at the definition of set-global-staff-size would seem
>>> indicate how the size is being set.  I suspect that calculating the
>>> "relevant module" in that manner and then looking up output-scale
>>> in it
>>> might do the trick.  But I haven't really understood the output scale
>>> business anyway.  It's not clear to me how it works in every
>>> circumstance.
>>>
>> That's not quite what I wanted to hear...  If /you/ say that, it
>> makes me wonder whether a) the entire business is seriously broken
>> by design or b) it's waaay above what I'll ever understand.
>> I agree that looking up the "relevant module" seems to be the
>> missing link.  Anyway, I'll have a look after Aug, 10.
>>

>> Best,
>> Alexander
>>
> Well, my question is this. If I can do something like:
>
> #(set-global-staff-size 18)
>
> \paper {
>  #(define fonts (make-pango-font-tree ... (/ staff-height pt 20)))
> }
>
> where staff-height gets referenced _outside_ of the
> set-global-staff-size call, then why can't we just reference it
> directly within the make-pango-font-tree syntax? It appears that the
> variable/property is stored somewhere, but where? and why can I
> reference it, but make-pango-font-tree can't?

Well, if make-pango-font-tree puts itself in your shoes, it may.
Putting itself in your shoes might mean
(/ (module-ref (current-module) 'staff-height)
   (module-ref (current-module) 'pt))
instead of staff-height, and that does not protect against
make-pango-font-tree being used outside of your shoes...