Re: R shorthand

From: Jan-Peter Voigt
Subject: Re: R shorthand
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 08:31:16 +0100

Am 20.03.2013 02:16, schrieb David Kastrup:

Hi Shane,

  What happens when we need an awkward length R like R1*12/8*14?
I'm not sure what you mean by "awkward length"…

I'm suggesting that R (with no duration given) should give you a
one-measure multi-measure rest, regardless of what the measure
duration is.
I just realized that the total musical length of music expressions is
established _before_ iteration (and some manipulations require it to be
known), while the varying measure length is established by properties
set _during_ iteration.

So whatever the syntax: no can do.  Surprising as that may seem.
This sound reasonable and is what I came across, when trying to deal with this myself ... well, I wasn't sure, if I was right ...

So I know I have to know the measure length before creating my full-measure rests - I created a few functions (taktSkip/Rest/Meta). There were a lot pieces of music with frequently alternating time signatures. I mostly use { \taktMeta 3/4 5 } in my global part, to create (in this example) 5 measures of 3/4. The function combines the creation of the time signature and the skip event. To create rests in music, nowadays I prefer { R1*3/4*5 }. It is still shorter than { \taktRest 3/4 5 }

Cheers,
Jan-Peter