Re: R shorthand

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: R shorthand
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 02:16:27 +0100

> Hi Shane,
>
>>  What happens when we need an awkward length R like R1*12/8*14?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "awkward length"…
>
> I'm suggesting that R (with no duration given) should give you a
> one-measure multi-measure rest, regardless of what the measure
> duration is.

I just realized that the total musical length of music expressions is
established _before_ iteration (and some manipulations require it to be
known), while the varying measure length is established by properties
set _during_ iteration.

So whatever the syntax: no can do.  Surprising as that may seem.