Re: R shorthand

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: R shorthand
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 16:41:12 -0400

Hi Shane,

>  What happens when we need an awkward length R like R1*12/8*14?

I'm not sure what you mean by "awkward length"…

I'm suggesting that R (with no duration given) should give you a one-measure
multi-measure rest, regardless of what the measure duration is.
And that Rx (where x is an integer) will give you an x-measure multi-measure
rest, regardless of the duration(s) of each measure.

Let's say you have the following passage: 7 measure of 4/4, 1 measure of 5/8, 2
measures of 7/16, and 3 measures of 3/4.
R13 would give you a multi-measure rest which is as long as the whole section.

So what would constitute an "awkward length", if R simply gives you the
duration of the measure, whatever it is?
Are you not asking for a multi-measure rest which has the same duration as the
measure it fills?
If so, how does that make any sense? What are you doing in the rest of that
measure (that can't be better done another way)?

Thanks,
Kieren.