Re: Substitute for s1*0

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Substitute for s1*0
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 08:40:18 +0200

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

> On May 5, 2012, at 8:16 PM, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> But what about <>\footnote: that does not have this problem.
>>
>> In fact, isn't <> generally prettier than s1*0?  Should we be using it
>> in code and documentation rather than s1*0?
>

> What a great idea!  No notes generated; the duration doesn't change.
>
> Does <> take any time?

No.  Time for <> is registered by putting the same duration on every
element inside of the EventChord.

There is a drawback, though.  q is changed.  Now q is implemented as <>
but with the current duration on it.  Which would mean that the total
moment of

{ c4 <> q }

would likely change when q gets expanded.  While <c> _is_ considered for
q for consistency's sake, perhaps <> should be made to leave it alone.