Re: critical issues

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: critical issues
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 01:55:36 +0100

Adding Luke to recipients again...  (please remember to include him as
he's not signed to our mailing lists),

2012/1/4 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> Łukasz Czerwiński <address@hidden> writes:
>> Regarding all those fragments of Janek's and David's emails: For some time
>> I have been observing how bug are being fixed in Lilypond and spent some
>> time on conversations with Janek.
>> For me there is almost no team work in Lilypond - only a bunch of geek
>> trying to fix some issues, but without a leader who coordinates all
>> actions.
>
> We have coordinated procedures in place that several people spend
> sizable amounts of time on.  This concerns the way new contributions are
> channeled, and how bugs get registered and releases get made.  Graham is
> doing a lot of work keeping just that going and coordinated.

Indeed and this means: kudos to Graham and the patch/issue team!

>> As far as I remember, some time ago you have tried hard to make some
>> big changes in Lilypond, but finally there was no big revolution...
>
> I am not sure who you are addressing.  Nominally, you are replying to
> Janek, and Janek did spacing changes he not just tried to get through,
> but actually did.

Thank you David for being so kind, but i don't remember any important
spacing issues fixed by me.
(however i'm in the process of gathering data for a truly
revolutionary move; unfortunately estimated time left before the
report will be ready is something like 3 months, because of other
stuff i have to do).

>> Without a leader that will make key design & implementation decisions
>> Lilypond will improve in a slow pace, letting Finale and Sibellius
>> gain more and more users.
>
> Forget Finale and Sibelius.  They are not a problem we need to address
> since they are competing in a different space.

I don't fully agree, but i guess discusssing this is not that important.

>> That means not only fixing critical bugs, but also: anticipating
>> future stability problems, constantly improving end user documentation
>> and the quality of source code (reduce complexity, comment code and so
>> on). By now there is a huge work to be done and Lilypond needs someone
>> who will form guidelines and priorities.
>
> There is no point in working on guidelines and priorities without
> capacities that would be guided and prioritized by them.

I'm amused by your answer, David.  It's very rational and succint; i
know Luke and if something can show him what the problem is it's your
answer.

Luke, i remember that you were doing something for GIMP.  Can you say
how things work there, what the leadership looks like and what could
we learn from them, bearing in mind little time each of us have?

cheers,
Janek