Re: critical issues

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: critical issues
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 06:24:19 +0100

(sorry for double-post)

2012/1/2 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 10:23:28PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>> > If you are aware of any other issues which fall under the
>> > definition (i.e. a reproducible failure to build lilypond from
>> > scratch,
>>
>> On a supported platform.  It does not look like there is currently much
>> sense in calling MacOSX or Windows that.
>
> The exact details of the proposal specifies "as long as configure
> reports no problems", which presumably would fail on osx (unless
> it was highly tweaked) or windows.
>
>> > an unintentional regression, or something which stops a good
>> > contributor from working on lilypond),
>>
>> That's urgent.  But it is not release-relevant since good contributors
>> don't work on released versions but on the development version.  I also
>> see no point in delaying a stable release because of details that are
>> not actually worse than at the previous release.
>
> I understand your point of view.  However, that was not the
> decision that we reached during that GOP discussion, and I am not
> interested in re-opening that discussion.
>
> Bottom line: I will not be calling anything a "stable release", or
> even a "release candidate", if there are issues which are known to
> fall under the current definition of a "Critical issue".  I am not
> open to changing that definition for at least the next 6 months.
> However, lilypond is open-source software; there are no legal
> barriers[1] to other people building binaries and distributing
> them under whatever name they wanted[2].

By the way, do we have a policy about regressions?  I remember that
reverting bad commits was discussed in the past, and i'm quite for
this solution.
I don't see information about which commits caused our currently open
critical regression, does it mean that's impossible to tell or simply
noone tried to find them?  Is finding them an easy (no knowledge
needed, a complete set of dumbed-down instructions can be given) task
that can be done using a moderately fast computer running lilydev (1,5
GB RAM for virtual machine, processor Core i5 2.5 GHz and no idea if
multicore thingy translates to virtual machine)?

cheers,
Janek