Re: `make check' overworks one core on my Core2 quad

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: `make check' overworks one core on my Core2 quad
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 16:13:47 -0200

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:

>> > I think a .lock would be good.  That's the typical solution to
>> > everything when it comes to parallel processing.  :)
>>
>> Right - the script should do an flock() on the database directory when
>> opening it.
>>
>> (doesnt work on NFS though)
>
> On the entire directory, or just on the lybook-db/??/ dir?

I was thinking about the NFS case, as this is something I encounter at
Google in some of my projects, which I think we should not try to
cater for.

The lock could just be per file, using file system locks (which are
simple to use and efficient).  Probably ly:parse-file should just lock
and unlock the file while processing it.