Re: `make check' overworks one core on my Core2 quad

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: `make check' overworks one core on my Core2 quad
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:28:34 +0100

Le lundi 14 décembre 2009 à 16:05 +0000, Graham Percival a écrit :
> That could be what's happening... not necessarily parallel
> lilypond-book runs in the same directory, but building the english
> docs + translations at the same time with lilypond-book in
> parallel?

AFAIK and have experienced, make waits for all jobs to be finished in
one directory before entering into another directory.

>   I've already seen that
> "make -j1 CPU_COUNT=X doc" works, and seems to take the same time
> + have the same CPU load as doing -j4 CPU_COUNT=4.

What do you mean by "seems"? On my box, I noticed prepending make
invocations with "time" that using -jN with N>1 made by gain 15% to 20%
of build time (5 minutes out of 25).

> No, I haven't looked at how make processes the -j options, and I'd
> rather not have to do this if I don't have to.  If somebody can
> look into this, I'll continue to look into why GUB can't build the
> 2.12.3 docs.  Deal?

As I've already announced, I no longer work on current make/stepmake
build system.  Instead, I'm pulling my hair with Texi2HTML init scripts;
just for fun, see the attached to realize the kind of mess where I am.

Best,
John