Re: `make check' overworks one core on my Core2 quad

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: `make check' overworks one core on my Core2 quad
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 14:27:53 -0200

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> Oh wait - there is one thing I did not think about: snippets may be
>> shared by different documents,
>
> Yes, that was my point about snippets being included in snippets.tely
> and (for example) rhythms.itely.
>
>> For now, the easy fix is to use -j1 with CPU_COUNT for building the docs.
>
> Yes; that became the recommended way in Oct.  But it's much slower
> than it would otherwise be.

That surprises me. I thought the majority of the time was spent
running LilyPond, which would be efficient with CPU_COUNT set, so the
difference should be small.

>> A more elaborate solution would be either some kind of locking, or to
>> check whether the .ps / .pdf exists before actually processing the
>> .ly; the latter is still suscepitible to races, though, but a check
>> could make the opportunity window smaller.
>
> I think a .lock would be good.  That's the typical solution to
> everything when it comes to parallel processing.  :)

Right - the script should do an flock() on the database directory when
opening it.

(doesnt work on NFS though)