Re: Lettered tablature patch

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Lettered tablature patch
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 12:15:18 +0100

"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:

> I posted my first patch to Rietveld last night, but nothing seems to
> have been cc'd to the list.  Not sure what I did wrong.  It's at
> http://codereview.appspot.com/164063.  Here's what it does.
>
> This is the first patch of a series aiming eventually to enable
> Baroque lute tablature to be produced.
>
> This first patch enables an option to indicate fret numbers with
> letters.  The option is turned on by setting the context variable
> tablatureFormat to fret-letter-tablature-format.  The letters are
> taken sequentially from the alphabet by default, but the first n of
> these may be overridden by setting the context variable fretLetters to
> a string of n length.  For example, the third fret on a Baroque lute
> is indicated by "r" rather than "c", as "c" can easily be confused
> with "e".  (Actually it was originally a Greek gamma, but "r" is
> usually used).  So, for a Baroque lute, fretLetters would be set to
> #'("a" "b" "r").

How about fretLetters not overriding "the first n of these", but
completely substituting for the alphabet, by having the last element in
the list be the model for the next ones.  And permitting numbers as
well.  Then the default numbering would just be
#'(0)

And your Baroque numbering would be

In that manner, the baroque numbering does not need an exception.
Converting a number to string (if necessary) and calculating successor
of either number or string might be a bit of a hassle.  But I think that
the resulting interface would be quite generic and convenient.